Changes to Montana Employer’s Unemployment Insurance Quarterly Wage Reports
Through the implementation of our new STAARS system, the Montana Unemployment Insurance (UI) Division has made a few changes to our Quarterly Wage Reports, both the UI5 (for Experience Rated Employers) and the UI5G (for Governmental and Reimbursable Employers).
Key changes to note include:
- New logo and minor wording changes,
- A bar code has been added to facilitate the scanning and processing of incoming reports, and
- The addition of a payment voucher (coupon) for use with all non-electronic payments.
Employers, vendors, and third party representatives who have created (or wish to create) replicas of the Quarterly Wage Report forms are strongly encouraged to incorporate the changes we’ve made into your version of these forms.
While primarily minor, the most notable wording change would be in the paragraph under the address block (see attached example). Please replace “wow.mt.gov” with “uieservices.mt.gov”. We will be retiring our WOW site when we go live with STAARS in February 2014. Also in that same paragraph, please add the statement “If paying by check, please use attached voucher.” As mentioned the voucher is a new addition and we’d like to stress the importance of its use whenever possible.
Step 3 also saw some minor changes to the line names and definitions. The overall order and flow remains the same, we just attempted to spell a few things out a little more clearly for those who still calculate this information by hand.
To streamline processing, if possible, we’d appreciate employers, vendors, and third party representatives including a Bar Code on all replica Quarterly Wage Report forms following the specifications outlined below:
- Should be located in the upper right hand section of the form (see attached example) under the “UI Annual Wage Base”
- Font Type = Code 128 C
- Width = 2.8 inches
- Height = .25 inches
- Utilize the standard Check Digit included with Code 128 C
- Total length of content is 22 characters
The contents of the Bar Code must include (in this order):
- Employer MT UI Account Number (EAN)
- Length is 7 characters
- Zero pad as needed – zeros should be added to the beginning of the EAN not the end
- Length is 6 characters
- Format = MMDDYY
- Employer’s FEIN
- Length is 9 characters, zero fill if unavailable
As with the UI5 Quarterly Report form itself, employers, vendors and third party representatives may reproduce a replica of our voucher for their customers to utilize when sending cash or check payments.
In order for the reproduced vouchers to function properly in our new Check 21 deposit process, it is imperative those who choose to replicate the voucher follow the exact specifications outlined below. Testing of the replica vouchers will be required.
Please see attached PDF for a voucher example.
- Total Voucher Height = 3 inches
- Paper weight = 20lb
- Scan Line Placement:
- Start 3/5” from the left of the page and 3/8” from bottom of page
- Font type must be OCR A LT
- Font Size must be 12 pt
- Character length must equal 44 characters
- Scan Line Values
||Always use the employers 7 digit MT UI Account Number (EAN) proceeded by zero’s to the total length of 11 characters.
||Always use the value “02” to indicate EAN.
||The FEIN corresponding to the above EAN. The FEIN is used for validation, however, if you do not have the FEIN you may zero fill the value.
||Always use the value “01” for Experience Rated and Governmental Accounts. For Reimbursable accounts use “04”.
||The end date of the quarter being paid in MMDDYYYY format.
||Check Digit for characters 1-32, LuhnsMod10
||Set to a constant value of “L0000000000”
For questions or concerns regarding any of the changes outlined above or to begin voucher testing, please contact April Rose Hislop at email@example.com or call (406) 444-0939 or (406) 444-6963.