Commonly asked Questions on UI Overpayments

  • UI Claimants with benefit overpayments can make credit or debit card payments using the link below or by calling (406) 444-5434.

     Pay Online

    NOTE: Employers should NOT use the Pay Online link above to pay UI Contributions (tax).  Employers can make tax payments online through UI eServices for Employers, or by calling (406) 444-3834 to pay with a credit card. 

  • We send the total amount of unemployment compensation paid to you and others on your behalf for the year, including any Child Support and taxes, to the Internal Revenue Service even if an overpayment was later established.  You are responsible for deducting any cash repayments you have sent to the Unemployment Insurance Division towards the overpayment.  The net result is the total amount of unemployment compensation received. 

    • Refer to instructions in your Form 1040 instruction booklet under the heading “Line 19 - Unemployment Compensation” or Form 1040 EZ instructions under “Line 3 - Unemployment Compensation.”
  • Offsets taken from your unemployment check by our agency have already been deducted from the amount of unemployment compensation we reported for you to the Internal Revenue Service and included on your Form 1099-G. Do not report offsets taken from checks as repayments.
  • If you received an overpayment of unemployment compensation paid and you repaid any of it by check or money order, subtract the amount you repaid from the total amount received as shown on your 1099-G. Enter the result on the appropriate line of your 1040 tax form. Also, enter “Repaid” and the amount you repaid on the dotted line next to line 19 on form 1040 or line 3 on form 1040EZ.
  • If you repaid unemployment compensation that was included in your gross income from an earlier year, you may deduct the amount on Schedule A. Refer to instructions in your Form 1040 booklet.
  • Go on-line to to view and print a copy of your 1099-G or call (406) 444-2556.
  • Contact our UI Benefit Overpayments team at (406) 444-5434.

Back To Top